Friday 9 October 2015

Thinking of you, NAU ♥

I know that the intent of this blog was to document my adventures abroad. However, this morning, the NAU family is being pulled together under very difficult and unfortunate circumstances.

Simply put, there was a shooting. On my campus. My home away from home. I'm at such a loss for words that I don't even know where I'm going with this post. My heart is so heavy and my sympathies go out to the one dead and three wounded freshmen. Though I'm 5,000 miles out, it still hurts. You hear of these happenings on the news all the time & see it as another reality, but not once did you think it would occur so close to home that it becomes your reality too. As I'm ending my college career, they're just beginning theirs'. 

Though this occurrence may have been a dispute between two big fraternities (victims: Delta Chi, suspect: Sigma Chi) on NAU campus, I hope that the media doesn't embellish and convey a false reality. I happen to know many members of the Sigma Chi fraternity, and I can confidently say that all of my encounters have left me with a really good impression. I hope that the public doesn't make assumptions about Greek life or this fraternity as a whole. The suspect is not a reflection of this brotherhood I've come to respect and admire. I have the utmost respect for the Sig Chi men in my life, because they are the men the world should aspire to be like. The suspect was a pledge, and he's one bad seed that doesn't properly reflect how truly amazing this fraternity is. Don't generalize, don't stereotype. They do good in this world, and they contribute truly valuable things to this world. I'm not advocating for this with a clouded/biased judgment. It's because I once was guilty of seeing Sigma Chi in the wrong light, and I have never been so proud to be proven wrong. Sigma Chi is one of the few fraternities that break the stereotypes of Greek life. They are well-rounded, highly intellectual men who have great heads on their shoulders and the biggest hearts.

I realize how blessed I am to be abroad at the moment, but that isn't my main concern. My main concern lies with my friends who became my family. I don't know what I would do if any one of them were one of the four victims. It hurts when you finally grasp how close it could've been to being one of your loved ones. All it could've taken was one little, minute change in circumstances - wrong place, wrong time. 

My heart goes out to the men of Delta Chi, the NAU community, and family members affected by this tragedy. For the time being, I can only imagine. I want nothing more than to be on campus in Flagstaff to support the community who gave me my second home.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." - Psalm 46:1
Thinking of you, NAU. 

Lieben Immer, 
N.M.Chow 

No comments:

Post a Comment