Wednesday 25 November 2015

Venice & Rome | Italy

18 Nov 2015 - 22 Nov 2015

This trip... man. I've been putting this post off for as long as possible, 'cause I don't even know where to begin! It was eye-opening, indescribable, inspiring experience all in one. I think anyone who has been around to see me grow up knows how deep my wanderlust runs. I have to admit, I was questioning my travel bug for quite some time since being ill. But this was my first trip actually out of the country [England] since September. This trip alone re-aligned the stars so I could see them again. My intention of this study abroad journey was to travel and to indulge myself in as much European culture as possible. Italy was my first step (disregarding my German trip 4 years ago).

I don't think it's hit me yet that I was in ITALY!! My jaw dropped & I don't think it ever came back up until the end of the trip. Though Rome & Venice have very distinct differences, they held their own type of beauty. Trekking to the most touristy sites was a given. These were sites I have only ever dreamed of seeing one day, and I couldn't believe that "one day" was here. I'm so in love with the art, the culture, the customs, everything. Out of all the European countries, my mom has only ever held an interest in visiting Italy. I can see why. Even as I'm reminiscing & composing this post, I can't stop smiling. The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree, and I know that she would've fallen in love with this country just as I have and basked in all the glory & beauty Italy has to offer.

I traveled with a friend, Natasha, to Rome for the first couple of days. She also attends NAU with me, but we met up here in Nottingham. Our hotel was so nice & conveniently located between the Trevi Fountain and the Colosseum. The art geek in me couldn't stop screaming on the inside when in the Sistine Chapel.

My friend had to leave before the weekend hit as she had another trip to go on, so I met up with one of my childhood friends, Vivian. She's currently studying abroad in Rome. She (and her flat mates) were so hospitable that I felt I had to drag myself on the plane to fly back to England. We made plans to make a day-trip to Venice. It seems kind of silly, but Venice was a priority for me, not only because of the beautiful scenery, but because my family & I stayed at the Venetian Hotel in Vegas more times than I can count. I wanted to see the REAL Venice in person. Unfortunately, it was raining the entire time; thus, we couldn't ride on the gondolas. Of course it's a disappointment, but I made a mental note to promise to come back another day, and I believe it'll happen.

My Italian friend, Chiara (whom I've met here in Nottingham), advised us not to eat at places with a "Tourist Menu" or have pictures on their menu. I think my friends and I have successfully done just that. This is a trip I will hold near & dear for many years to come. I'm so in love with Italy, and I can't wait to go back and explore more of what Italy has to offer. Travelling isn't just about seeing iconic sites & documenting it. It's about indulging yourself in the culture so you can get a taste of what the locals are privileged enough to experience on a daily basis - perspective. Both cities, though vastly different, allowed windows of opportunity for me to just forget reality for a bit, and I loved that. I felt so calm and protected from reality. So cliche, but so true.

This world is so big & offers so much, but this is only a glimpse of what God is fully capable of creating. I can't wait to see more.

"For by Him, all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." - Colossians 1:16-17

Lieben Immer,
N.M.Chow

No comments:

Post a Comment