Sunday 8 November 2015

Nottingham | England

I can't believe I've gone this long without even posting about the city I'm residing in for 3 months! Oops... Well, it's not because this city isn't significant in any way. I've just been a bit preoccupied :P.

This city has its own beauty. I love it. It still has a very European vibe. It's very convenient. My flat is less than a 5-minute walk from the business building. Groceries are practically around the corner. The main market square is less than a 10-minute walk away. I'm absolutely in awe of the architecture everywhere I go. This city also holds quite a few of its own traditions. I like that a lot. I think it's really cute. I think it's a suitable university/college town environment.

However, being here for over a month, I gotta say... food options are very limited and that's really disappointing. But that's also probably why America has an obesity problem, haha. The options here [England] are either really nice/expensive restaurants/bistros or really cheap/on-the-go/pre-packaged cafes or fast food. There aren't really any budget-friendly/low-key/casual restaurants around. In addition to the lack of variety, groceries expire especially quickly here. Bread, cheese, and other produce mold quicker, deli meat smells funny after the first use, and milk gets chunky after like a week. Despite my best efforts to seal everything, I've unfortunately still wasted quite a bit of money on unfinished food. Someone once also told me food is very bland in the UK. Gotta say... that holds a lot of truth. Options are so plain and products lack so much flavor. Crisps (chips) and soda are weird here too... Pizza sucks, period. Loving the pastries and hot drinks here, though.

Everyone has this expectation of pessimism correlating with gloomy weather, but honestly, I love rain. The only downfall is that the sun rises at approximately 7:30am and sets at 4:30pm. -_- I feel like I'm losing a majority of my day. Not only that, most places around here close around 6-8 (depending on the place & day), so my only option for a nightlife belongs in pubs, bars, or clubs.

Anywho, photos will be up on my Google+ profile in the near future!

"How many are your works, O LORD! In wisdom, You made them all; the earth is full of your creatures." -Psalm 104:24

Lieben Immer,
N.M.Chow

No comments:

Post a Comment